Wednesday, June 15, 2005
If it aint broke, dont fix it
I have been an LVN for almost 25 years now,is that wrong?? Is that a shameful thing?
Though I dont have the RN behind my name, I am still a licensed nurse, I had to take special courses regulated by the state of california and graduate from a 2 year nursing school before being eligible to take state boards,I have to renew my license every 2 years and update it with courses known as CEU's. My nursing experience ranges from hospitals,clinics,convelscent homes,home health nursing,staffing,Utilization review,disability,case management and workers compensation and the work load was and is the same for me as it is for the registered nurse-No, contary to popular belief, the RN's I work with dont have any more responsiblities than I,especially with all the experience and knowledge I have in my belt, the difference then? Good question... One year less of school and I get paid way less for doing the same thing.
Even RN's with absoultly no experience in my field,that I wind up teaching, get the respect and the mula simply because they have those 2 little intials after their name.
In the last 25 years I have been told many things, usually by my RN nursing peers,like,
Im not a "real nurse" (I guess thats what RN stands for), I am not as smart because Im not an RN,and my all time favorite line is when Im told "you should go back to school and get your RN" my reply lately to that is "really?" "I never thought of that" Plus,in regards to work, many doors/options were closed to me because, as I was told by many employers,though capable,I am an LVN not an RN. In the past years,if a company did hire me, they'd put me to work as a glorified file clerk or a receptionist and my pay matched those type of positions.
Unfortunatly, the majority of RN programs are during the day and I have found my rent and other bills need to be paid somehow,
If only I had a sugar daddy or someone to pay the bills,uh, like most of these RN's had while they were going to school.
The home study RN programs sound like a good solution but they cost around $10,000 or close to it...and I dont happen to have $10,000.00 in my savings, if I did, I wouldnt work, Id go to a daytime RN program.
In the last 25 years,I have been one honest,hard working, single,LVN, scrambling to find work for any place that would hire me to work with just an LVN license.
So, who cares and why am I bitching about this?
Because the fact that I am only an LVN and am not as smart as the RN has once again, recently came into play as I was attacked verbally by another individual regarding this and I am feeling stupid because of it.

Though I dont have the RN behind my name, I am still a licensed nurse, I had to take special courses regulated by the state of california and graduate from a 2 year nursing school before being eligible to take state boards,I have to renew my license every 2 years and update it with courses known as CEU's. My nursing experience ranges from hospitals,clinics,convelscent homes,home health nursing,staffing,Utilization review,disability,case management and workers compensation and the work load was and is the same for me as it is for the registered nurse-No, contary to popular belief, the RN's I work with dont have any more responsiblities than I,especially with all the experience and knowledge I have in my belt, the difference then? Good question... One year less of school and I get paid way less for doing the same thing.
Even RN's with absoultly no experience in my field,that I wind up teaching, get the respect and the mula simply because they have those 2 little intials after their name.
In the last 25 years I have been told many things, usually by my RN nursing peers,like,
Im not a "real nurse" (I guess thats what RN stands for), I am not as smart because Im not an RN,and my all time favorite line is when Im told "you should go back to school and get your RN" my reply lately to that is "really?" "I never thought of that" Plus,in regards to work, many doors/options were closed to me because, as I was told by many employers,though capable,I am an LVN not an RN. In the past years,if a company did hire me, they'd put me to work as a glorified file clerk or a receptionist and my pay matched those type of positions.
Unfortunatly, the majority of RN programs are during the day and I have found my rent and other bills need to be paid somehow,
If only I had a sugar daddy or someone to pay the bills,uh, like most of these RN's had while they were going to school.
The home study RN programs sound like a good solution but they cost around $10,000 or close to it...and I dont happen to have $10,000.00 in my savings, if I did, I wouldnt work, Id go to a daytime RN program.
In the last 25 years,I have been one honest,hard working, single,LVN, scrambling to find work for any place that would hire me to work with just an LVN license.
So, who cares and why am I bitching about this?
Because the fact that I am only an LVN and am not as smart as the RN has once again, recently came into play as I was attacked verbally by another individual regarding this and I am feeling stupid because of it.
