Monday, June 26, 2006

Scary


So I get to work today and there was an email waiting for me from a lady who rescued cats from Katrina who is now writing a book to be ready by this fall for sale
And she wants my story about Voodoo. (see archived blog entry "Spirt and Heart-9/15/05 for details)
The lady called me and I gave her my story-then she told me she needed to talk to the owner of the cat so he can give her more detailed info about him like favorite foods,toys etc. for her profile. I was trying to hide, but had to dig up his email address and phone number for her so she can have the information on Voodoo that I dont have. Suprisingly, this little request actually hurt and scared me. What if he has changed his phone and email? I dont like facing this shit.
I just wanted to forget he existed in my life and not even think about this stuff. I love Voodoo though, would love to see his profile get into a book. So, I have to do what I have to do-tomorrow is another day. I can be isolated and selfish then.

Well heres some of what I wrote to the book-rescue lady-I thinks its ok but I dont know what he will think, I dont think he knows all of this(Im sort of embarrassed):

"I am former "friend" of a man who live(d) in New Orleans. I feel like I went thru this horrible tradgedy with him-I guess I did and I was glad because it was a humbling experience to help someone you love deal with a tradgedy .
The cat's name is VooDoo-I hadnt met him yet as he was in New Orleans and I was in Los Angeles-but I knew and loved his owner and I loved VooDoo very much because of this!
Because of my love for animals, especially, cats, my own involvment with cat rescues out here in California and the thought of poor VooDoo without his person or food, I found it my mission to get VooDoo taken care of.
I couldnt give up on VooDoo! I was feeling love-for the little boy, even my friend had given up because some of his friend's insisted VooDoo was probably dead and drowned already. He was so depressed but I refused to give into the worst...


My friend,who lived in Orleans Parish, had come to California on a business trip a few days prior to the orders to evacuate New Orleans due to an impending violent hurricane, so, only expecting to be gone a few days, Voodoo, the cat, was left with a few days worth of food and water until the return of his person.
That was before the hurricane. Poor Voodoo,living, breathing and dependant,the baby, was on his own.
Up until early in the AM hours,for 8 days straight, I contacted rescue group after rescue group for Voodoo and my friend, signed up with so many organizations,called many good hearted individuals,posted on the NOLA.com pet rescue forum with -"PLEASE SAVE MY CAT-SOS" titled on every subject line
I cried every night,I ate little, I prayed on my knees-I didnt want to tell my dear friend all that I was doing behind the scenes as I couldnt bear to get his hopes up just to have his heart to break if the worst news came, I wanted to get any news, so I could tell him first.
Poor Voodoo, where is he? How is he surviving? Is he eating? Will he be found? One night,I happened to be on one of the forums on the NOLA.com site, and noticed someone had posted Gulfsails.blogspot.com because they were showing photos of flooded areas on there. I dont know why, I wasnt really trying to look at devastating new orleans flood pictures,I just wanted Voodoo saved, I went to this blogsite and I looked at the pictures and noticed the address that was posted on there seemed awful close to my friend's address-so because of this, I got creative...I posted another SOS advertisement with my email address, in the comments section - thinking to myself, that the address in the blog posting appears close to the apartment complex that Voodoo is in, perhaps this person can somehow see about Voodoo-or at least feed him.
Next day, I get an email from the person whose blogsite I commented in with my plea, she was requesting that I sign and fax back to her permission to enter the apartment-I did this in 2 seconds.
This was on a Thursday-2 weeks after Voodoo was left alone. Well, little did I know, the person I had commented to was from the Iberia Humane Society(West side of Louisiana) who was leaving Iberia at 4am on Saturday to set out to New Orleans to rescue animals by boat.
That Saturday morning, I got a message from this wonderful woman named,Kelsey- she and her crew just rescued Voodoo, he was in their boat safe and sound.
I cried with happiness when I heard this.
I couldnt wait to dial up my honey with this info, he was so happy-he stumbled over his words and asked tearfully, "are you sure its him?" After I reassured him that it was indeed Voodoo because they were in his apartment when they got him-I called Kelsey back and she said she would take Voodoo to a shelter somewhere where he'd be safe until he was picked up. He was brought to a vet who sent me a digital picture immediately-which I sent to my frantic sweetie.
Mike, who was in the crew with Kelsey,had scaled up the balcony using just his arm strength, and rescued Voodoo from under the bed.
I want to give a big lick and a purr to the Iberia Humane Society, especially Kelsey and her crew for the heroic rescue."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?